Sunday, July 22, 2007

3rd post

So. Our new maid arrived on Monday. Let me just say this; she looked NOTHING like she did in her picture. I feel cheated...like an online dater! She was plump and jovial in her agency photograph.the woman I took home with me was gaunt and sullen. She must be feeling terribly homesick, disoriented and scared. We have been trying to cheer her up and make her feel welcome and comfortable, but I don't think she's appreciating the effort. Give her time, yes I know.
The thing is, I realise I'm also perpetuating my own problem here.as I'm comparing her (let's just call her 'Joy', I just LOVE the irony) to the housemaid I had before, Esther - who was a dream come true. Esther joined our household 2 months prior to Joy arriving as we were desperate for the extra help. She proved to be a cheerful, industrious girl - what we appreciated the most about her was that she knew what had to be done, when to do it, when to disappear and when to reappear.AND, she always had a smile on her face! Yes, she had a few annoying habits too, but we could overlook those as she was great with Milo and he actually liked her (he doesn't just like anyone, you know). She really made an effort with him, and as a harried mum, I totally appreciate that. Joy, on the other hand, has to be told (more like prodded!) to do this, and then this, and then this..and I'm mentally exhausted trying to organise her, the house, my son and dinner! And because Joy looks so manic depressive and scary, I don't dare leave Milo with her for even 5 minutes - which defeats the purpose of having her in the first place as he's basically the reason we decided to hire a maid to begin with!
I know it's only been a week and we should give the poor woman a break and let her settle in.she's getting accustomed to how our household is run. Maybe, pray god, she'll PERK UP sometime soon. We let her call home to the Phillipines and she was very happy. But that lasted all of 5 minutes.
I am seriously looking into sending her back and getting a permit for Esther, who's keen to rejoin our family on contract. But according to experienced friends, this can potentially open up another can of worms. You see, Esther has been in KL for a while now, and is savvy to The Ways of the World (ie. through the eyes of an illegal foreign maid). She has many friends, contacts and a handphone (which, I must say, rings constantly). Who's to say she's not going to use me to get a legal working permit, and then do a runner after that, if offered more money to work elsewhere? I'm in a quandry.
I feel my whole life lately revolves around this issue. I went to buy panadol the other day and got into a 30 minute conversation with the pharmacist at Guardian about Phillipina maids! My neighbour came over for a drink and I ended up picking her brain on this dilemma. I NEVER ask my mother for advice, but yesterday I called her up and asked her what to do.
Now I'm going to ask YOU for your input and advice. Drop me a line, click on the 'post a message' icon above and do it now!!! I'm desperate![And before you all bang me for having too high of expectations and being impatient, etc. let me tell you I'm a VERY fair 'boss mum' and Esther cried to stay with us because we treated her so well!]xox and looking forward to your posts!Shaz

No comments: