Sunday, July 22, 2007

21st post

Tom Magnum vs Doc Martin

Hi ya.More like, hai yaaaa!

Despite all the babies and running around, I still find time to sit and watch the telly, and I TELL you, there's NOTHING on. Have you seen David Rocco's Dolce Vitta??? Puh-leeeeze. Is this guy for real? I want to smack him and give him a feather boa and some red lipstick and tell him to Be True To Himself.
When I was on maternity leave with Milo and breastfeeding 24-7, I was obsessed with Magnum P.I. reruns every morning at 10am. Now, it's Doc Martin at 9.30am. There's just no accounting for what some people (ie. me) will find attractive, I suppose...Tom Selleck was hot in his day, but Martin Clunes??? Shaz?! hello? You ok?I mean, he (Martin Clunes that is - who plays Dr Martin Ellingham on the show) is a grumpy bollocks, but he's got kind of nice, plump lips and his utter straightness ('rudeness', more like) is hysterically funny and endearing, especially when you see him trying to act somewhat human with the object of his desire, Louise, the village schoolmarm.

Now, I've never been one for hot looking men (despite marrying one - but that was pure luck!), but I think Doc Martin's really attractive. He's nothing in the looks department. In fact, he looks very typically English (sorry if I offend). But he's got such character and personality that he comes across as somewhat of a hottie.[HAHAHA!!! I'm smirking like crazy here!!!]Ok, only if you like tall, pasty, grumpy, caustically witty, clueless about women, loner, sad types. But watch this show a couple of times and you'll see what I'm talking about. The sexual tension between Martin and Louise is so "aaargh!!!!!" that I find myself holding my breath every time these two have a scene together! Wooaaaruugh! Wowser! Yowza!In one episode, DM saves a little boy's life and after the drama and tension and all that, finds himself passionately kissing L in the back of a cab. They were sucking face like mad, I tell youuuu! After which, he goes and spoils it all by asking her if she had a regular oral-care regime. Yikes. And he does this, the viewer suspects, not out of malice or sheer stupidity, but because it's the only way he knows how to cope with normal human emotions. He's not cold or callous, he's clueless, poor thing. And the endearing thing about him is that he knows it and you can see him struggling with this issue. Like Simon Cowell, he doesn't have time to be nice-nicey. He shoots straight from the hip. But with regards to Louise...he's just...pathetic and real. Somehow.Doc Martin is actually soooo highly intelligent, that he lacks the basic social graces one needs for normal human interaction in his small, close-knit community of Portwenn; what more for a boy-girl relationship. Alas, Louise is in a state of perpetual sexual and emotional frustration. There's an emotional cliffhanger in every episode where these two are concerned, made even more interesting with the arrival of Dan, Louise's ex from London.
I'm hooked, even if they are reruns.Who's the sad one, eh?

ps: I just reread what I wrote and I think I need to go OUT more....I'm over analysing a tv show character, for God's sake.

No comments: