Tuesday, July 24, 2007

75th post

a day in the life...

I am a lazyass, bad mother.

The scenario: this morning - before leaving the house:
Me: Milo, what do you want for school today? A banana? An apple? Some grapes? Cheese sticks?
Milo: Me want JUNK FOOD!!! Muahahahahaaaa!!!(where the heck did he learn this word????)Ok, so he gets Twiggies, cookies and chips quite often, but I personally have never referred to them as 'junk food'....so, hello???
Me: Is that what your teacher says it is? (referring to his usual snacks)
Milo: Yes! Want junk food! Want junk food! (howling) JUNK FOOOOOD!!!!

So, to avoid a huge argument, I usually give in - I know he eats a balanced meal at lunchtime and dinner, so what's the big deal lah. But after this little exchange, I'm wondering what the other kids in his playgroup bring from home, carrot sticks and chicken sandwiches? Fruit salad? I know cute little Misaki gets sushi and some miso soup in a thermos...

Man, if the teacher is calling his stuff junk food, I am soooooo a bad mother for letting him eat it. I know it's horrible, but despite not exactly setting a great example to my child, I feel unfairly judged. It's not like I don't try to convince him to eat more fruit or want to make him a tuna casserole for school, but: a) he won't eat it and I don't want him starving at 10am, and b) if he eats anything heavier than a Twiggy, he won't finish his nutritionally sound lunch. It's almost a Catch 22 situation. So I let him have a little junk, because generally, he doesn't get it at home.

I know the teachers are trying to educate the children on eating well and all that, but...if memory serves me - the most envied kids at school in my day, were the ones who got to eat the junk.
Muahahahahaaa!
Sorry. I'm still a bad mother.
26-June-07

No comments: