Sunday, July 22, 2007

11th post

happy mother's day!

Ok, ok. I'll stop whingeing about Joy, already. I know it's bloody, buggery boring. My sister pointed that out to me yesterday when I called her. She said it wasn't "nice". [I've got a shamefaced snigger coming on as I'm typing this!] Poor woman (Joy - not my sister) not even online to defend herself and what have you.So today, I want to wax nostalgic about what a brat kid I was growing up and the kind of mother I am today. This was also brought on by the conversation I had with my older sister. Apparently (though not apparent to moi at the timelah) I was very petulant and spoiled - having been the 'youngest' one for 7 years before my little sister came along. You couldn't ask me to do anything without me pouting or worse ('talkback' would be an understatement, I am in the 'talking' business you know). I always thought others (namely my immediate family members) were either ganging up on me or ignoring me (middle-child syndrom, no doubt). But I had my lovely traits, too. I wasn't too selfish and I was emphatic towards those less fortunate, but I was very impatient (still am!) and could be quite gluttonous (especially where fried potatoes and hari raya shoe shopping were concerned).I was naughty, rebelious, sulky, impertinent, stubborn and so much more. I wonder if I've got all this to look forward to with Milo. How's he going to be with his little brother / sister? Is he going to bully them? Occasionaly bonk them on the head with a hard object, too? Am I going to be too exhausted to referee? Will I hop after my brood with a wooden spoon just like my mother did? I'm already an old pro at yelling (I'm sure my neighbours can hear me up and down the street)! My mother was a full-time MOM (with 2 toddlers spaced out 12 months between them) of five (with no hired help, mind) and it's funny how I never noticed how tired or fed-up she looked whilst growing up. Not that she was exactly a picture of serenity either, but she just got on with it, whereas I b!tch and moan a fair bit, online and off. I have a workplace to escape to for half the day, where my poor mum was stuck with the lot of us at home. Hats off to her, this Mother's Day. I totally see her in a shining new light now that I'm a mother myself. If I can be half as good, patient and creative as she was/is...my kids may just survive their childhood!!!
To all Mamas this Mother's Day...YOU ROCK! Have a good one! - get the hubs to take the kids off your hands, get a spa treatment and full body massage and treat yourself to a nice HUGE decadent slice of CAKE.

In the famous words of Amber Chia in the Gintell ad: "Mamarrr...you'rrrre de Berrst!"

ps:...and if you can find it in your hectic schedule to read an entertaining, mindless piece of chic-lit, I found "The Rise and Fall of a Yummy Mummy" quite a good read. Enjoy!

No comments: