Sunday, July 22, 2007

25th post

Fat Loser's Joy Luck Club membership for sale here!

Ok, so I dug out my dusty copy of Jorge Cruise's "The Three Hour Diet" and have come up with the actual HOWs of how/why I got fat (raise your hands if you identify with any or all of the following):
1. Overeating (from basic glutony and/or 'fear of starvation' mentality).
2. Bad food choices (I crave cheeseburgers on a daily basis!) - also because fast food is easy food! No need for hours of shopping/preparing, etc.
3. Emotional eating - mostly from boredom/apathy and oddly enough, a 'fear of starvation' issue (more on that later).
4. Lack of excercise - I get more exercise from counting up the excuses not to excercise!

Ok, now that I've accepted the 'how come', here are the reasons why I want and need to change my attitude about food and excercise; basically, my targets and reasons why I want to achieve them:
1. To improve my health - to get rid of chronic pain in my feet, joints and back.
2. For more energy - to play with my children, not to mention my husband!
3. To buy new clothes off the rack, mind! - in line with plans to revamp my image (btw, thanks Gracie, for the "MILTF" anecdote!)
4. To fit into some great old clothes - I have a lot of nice things I still want to wear.
5. To feel more confident - in shorts and bathing suits, for annual holidays. My general attitude so far has been, so what, nobody knows me here in St Tropaz...!
6. To feel lighter - in body and spirit!

I am therefore, going public here with my pledge to myself, to COMMIT to the following:
1. I will not OVEREAT, but will eat every three hours as per Jorge Cruise's eating program.
2. I will make WISER food choices.
3. I will occupy myself elsewhere when bored or apathetic and not seek oral gratification from food.
4. I will commit to a walking program (see? I am still not commiting to the gym! Let's not lie to ourselves, shall we? LOL)
5. I will focus on the me I want to be and know I have it in me to achieve - as opposed to the negative self talk I occasionally indulge in.
6. I will not lapse. And if I do, I will not let it do me in.

I hope that if any of you have been thinking of making lifestyle changes like these, you will let me know, and we can support each other on this journey for health and happiness. I know I'm not alone, and I hope if you're embarking on a new eating or exercise program, we can spur each other on! We can call it Shaz's Fat Loser's Joy Luck Club! (Losers in that we LOSE the Fat lah, stupid! Not that we are losers, in the loosest sense of the word....nevermind! You get the drift!)

BTW, Richard looking a heck of a lot slimmer these days, now that I'm not there to bring up breakfast!

* my 'fear of starvation' issue stems from my literal starvation of any [decent] food while at boarding school. I never had anything good to eat while at TKC (it was like that scene from Oliver Twist!), except when my parents visited (which was few and far between) and I would gorge myself like that was my last [decent] meal. Through the years, I noticed that this issue has really affected me and my relationship with food. I have to remind myself to "breathe Shaz...you will have an excellent meal again tomorrow, if not in three hours time..." Yeah, yeah, you all laugh lah, but it's true.

No comments: