Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Feni

First, to answer a question from a previous post - Oct 2007 issue of Women's Weekly Magazine. Your friendly neighbourhood hair salon will probably have it. On another note, the February 2008 issue of Her World will have my unphotogenic mug in it somewhere, so do keep a look out. Heh.

If you're wondering what I'm having for dinner tonight, I'll tell you. I'm having a bit of rice with some ayam-kentang thingamajiggy my NEW maid came up with. It's quite tasty. I think it's ayam masak kicap but it's a rather exotic version of the one I'm used to. No veg, as I couldn't be bothered - my husband is a tad wee bit late tonight and I never eat well when he's not around. I actually amaze myself at how much of an effort I put into dinner when I know it's not just me eating. Left to my own devices, I'd have a yogurt (or McDelivery!!!) and call it a night!

Actually, I've been really depressed lately. You see, I've been let down. Feni broke my heart. My ex maid. The one I favoured. The one I had so much trust, respect and reliance on. I put her on a freekin' pedestal and she jumped on my head and danced on it.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I truly am. While I didn't 'spoil' her, she had fiscal bonuses, perks and a heck of a lot of respect and genuine affection from us. What amazes me is that she didn't seem to appreciate all or any of it. She could still steal from me and lie to my face. My dissapointment, well, if it ever happened to you, then you'll know lah. Who I feel for are my children, because they miss her and ask for her every day.

You know, what with her bonuses and such we gave her for taking great care of Milo and Sophie, she could have gone home even now with a fair bit in her pocket. Now, because of the various deductions, she's only going home with her basic pay. She insisted that she wanted to go back to the agent - probably thinking she would somehow work out a way to become a 'freelance' maid, but they will definitely send her back and they won't give her anything beyond what she officially earned. Even if I insisted, the money won't get to her. They'd take it. I'm sad for her because I feel despite the stealing and duplicity, she earned it by caring so well for my children, but now I'll have no way of 'rewarding' her for that service.

My friends ask me why I even bother agonising over it. She made her bed and is lying in it. Padan dengan muka dia. But it bothers me. Just like it bother me when I'm changing my son's nappy and he asks me in a sad, quiet little voice where his Kak Feni is and why she left. It bothers me when Sophie refuses to eat the food she normally relishes.

It fucking bothers me why she threw it all away.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

hi there! Sorry your still staying up late pining away..it must be hard because you had such great reliance on her, as did your whole family.Heck, I even liked her, she was so good with B! But the stealing and lying were the only things that you found out about...you may not have known of other dastardly deeds that she got away with. Kids are resilient, they will get over her, just give them a chance to bond with the new lady and maybe show her how to get on M&S's good side. They are probably thinking that others in their life might disappear too, so give them that extra bit of attention to tide them over till they figure out that they are stuck with Mummy and Daddy for life!! Anyway, call me next time you are up in the wee hours, I'm probably having my afternoon tea or playing with G. Seeya!

QueenKBee goes fit! said...

Why do they always do that? I too just found out that the maid that I so treasure, and trusted and treated well, have been sneaking out in the late hours and got herself a 'bun' in the oven, all these while also having a hubby and kid back home. A friend told me that the worse you treat them, the more loyal they are, but do we really have to resort to that?
Good luck with your new one. I still haven't had the courage and energy to seriously look for a new one, and now I've to install a camera too.. so depressing.

ginseng4desoul said...

I can't really say much except what is done is done. Only thing is, did you manage to talk to her and asked her why she did it? Perhaps it's just me... but I still believe that everything done (good or bad) has a reason to it. Well, let's hope this new help will make a difference to your family. Good luck.

Shazmin said...

Hi guys, thanks for the condonlences!
Anyway, she denied having stole anything - really, it's a long story but I have proof - but when I checked her bags before we sent her back to the agency, I found my gold chain. THEN, she defiantly claimed that since I had accused her of stealing anyway, she was doing it now out of spite! Logic, kan? Anyway, the agency did a proper search, and we found RM250 stuffed in the panties she was wearing - and she was wearing 2, which was dodgy in itself, so I think, the verdict is out lah. A bad egg is a bad egg. She had no cash to speak of when she came to us, and all her pay was banked into a savings account in her name. She claimed a 'relative' gave her the money, but that's all bollocks lah, coz Daniel and I were missing notes here and there, just not really wanting to believe the worst.

Aida said...

everything probably did happen for a reason?

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about Feni, Shaz. We've had our fair share of maid headaches. When I had to let mine go, I had the same sad feeling. She looked after Ethan since he was a baby and he still remembers her today. Now, we have a new maid and it took Ethan about 3 months to get used to her.

Shazmin said...

thank edward....by the way....are you Ethan's dad [from school]? ;-)