Monday, October 8, 2007

Errr, saudari pengacara....atau...puan?....by the way, are you PREGNANT?????

Hooooooh yoh, I tell you. Amir Muhammad was right; politicians DO say the darnest things.

This morning I was at The Equatorial Hotel KL, to emcee the AI Grand Prix 2007 media press conference and launch. The whole thing was going splendidly, when out of the blue, our Minister of Tourism, turns around, looks at me (in the middle of his speech) and asks me point blank if I was pregnant.

What the-???!

There I was, standing leftish to the podium, calculating the timing of the various VIP speeches yet to come and wondering if I'd have time enough later to go to Marks And Spencer's after this gig, when this gem of a question hit me in the face from out of the blue. Like a two ton truck.

Needless to say, it was the last thing I expected. Usually at these things, the press asks questions of the VIPs and ignores the emcee, not the VIP asking the emcee on her marital and fertility status!

Anyway, it's bloody funny now, but at the time I was so shocked I just nodded and gave him the thumbs up.

Thanks for thinking out loud how fat I am, dude. You rock.

8 comments:

Seaqueen said...

Sigh. Malaysians still need to learn the art of being tactful huh?
I've had terrible people asking me whether I'm pregnant while trying on my wedding dress!!! Ok. I'll admit I have a slight tummy problem but please, at least show a little respect. It's not as if my tummy looks like it's 4 months bloated.

Eng said...

Kesian Shaz...

Benci Ika said...

Hahahahahhahahaa! That's too funny lah! Don't take it too hard, politicians all very gatal one, mebbe he was actually trying to chat you up, in his own Melayu way! LOL hahahhaaa! good one shaz!

Pinky said...

Hi Shaz

Firstly Selamat Hari Raya to you and your family and hope you that you have a great time during the coming festive holidays.

Missed listening to you in the mid-mornings on the airwaves - via the net. I'm usually with my ear plugs typing furiously away at work during that time but that has all changed not only after you have left but our company has decided to put up a firewall for the site as well. Damn - so no more listening to mix.fm at work *lol*

As for the politicians saying to darndest things, I do agree with you on that point having read the book by Amir Muhammad but I guess on this occasion, it wasn't the fact that it was funny but to ask a question like that in the middle of a speech is just sheer tactless and disrespectful!

5xmom.com said...

Wah...I kena before this sort of question but at least it is discreet cos the theme park operator thot I am not fit to ride on the roller coaster. Wearing thick clothings what....

Anyway, Selamat Hari Raya and have a blast with the ketupat and dodol.

ginseng4desoul said...

Selamat Hari Raya!!! Hope things are rolling on great with you. Honestly, I don't have any faith with any menteri here lah. They are either gatal or sangat gatal or tukang kikis duit orang miskin. Enough said!

Ms J said...

hahaha..well girl, that is why i am always in babydoll dresses, post partum and wayyy beyond!
rude innit, to ask if someone is pregers - i'd be too gobsmacked to answer back.
p/s i am from your alma matter and my sister is your classmate.
your kiddies are adorable!

Aziya said...

hehehe... funny post Shaz...

it's okay he says you're pregnant rather he say you are FAT ...

if me la.. sure muka merah nak marah punya.. huhu